Thursday, March 26, 2009

Farmers Market Dinner

I made the easiest dinner tonight with ingredients I picked up at the farmers market on Sunday. I was inspired by the huge stacks of leeks being sold by several vendors. Of course my mind goes straight to soup so I thought I would try making potato leek soup. I grabbed a few potatoes for the soup and some brussel sprouts for a side-dish and checked another night off my grocery list.
.
I looked over four recipes and came up with a very basic one of my own. I loved it. I had some leftover no-knead bread to go with our soup and as a side dish I made one of my favorite green veggie dishes - Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon & Pistachios.
.
Perfect dinner in my book... delicious, local, meatless, healthy and easy!

Potato Leek Soup

2 large leeks, white and tender green parts, rinsed well and chopped
1 T olive oil
1/2 T butter
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-1" chunks
6 cups chicken stock
1-2 T fresh flat leaf parsley
salt & pepper

In a large pot over medium heat, saute leeks in butter and olive oil until tender (roughly 5-8 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add stock and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a blender (may have to do 2-4 batches) and blend until smooth. Put back into pot and stir in fresh parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper
.

No comments: