Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Serious Case of Nesting

I've come down with a serious case of nesting. I'm five weeks out from my due date and the nesting phase has come on with a vengeance.

I love organizing closets, drawers and cupboards so I've been doing a lot of that lately. I've made countless trips to Storables for stackable storage containers as well as their Industrial Post Shelving. I use their large shelves for our pantry and just got a large cart with drawers for my "wrapping station" in our office closet. It is perfect to separate and organize my ever-expanding collection of notecards (I'm addicted), ribbon, craft supplies, boxes, tissue, and more. I use an older version of Storables shelving (a less industrial looking white set of wire drawers) for my daughter's closet and the baby's closet. I love having the drawings with separators to organize baby clothes, blankets and more.
.
Another project was to organize all of my daughter's toys. Her toy collection has grown beyond anything I ever thought I would allow. I always said I wouldn't be that family who has toys strewn all over the place, and here we are. Our basement TV room was being consumed by a growing pile of toys that was spreading like a disease. Time to take control of the pile once and for all.
.
I bought a Pottery Barn Kids Cameron Bookshelf to start. I'm trying to keep the TV room looking somewhat normal and not entirely taken over by kid stuff so rather than getting the baskets or buckets sold at Pottery Barn Kids, I went to the regular Pottery Barn store and found a huge selection of baskets to choose from. I got a few different shapes and sizes perfect for sorting and storing all the little toys.
.

These kinds of organizing projects are right up my alley. I spent a few hours sorting through all the toys and voila....

Of course, it was only for my own satisfaction because the toys were coming out of the baskets faster than I could get to the camera and snap a photo. We'll see how long all these baskets stay organized by toy type. Days? Hours? Minutes!

Another project I tackled was having all the carpets cleaned. Last time I had this done, I had them clean around most things. This time, if it wasn't nailed down or 500lbs, I moved it (with the help of my mom, husband and brother-in-law). And so comes the nesting as I refuse to put anything back in it's place without going through every drawer, shelf, basket, box, you name it. Every room has to be like new as I put it back together. It's all or nothing with this little mama. I was able to get rid of bags upon bags of old stuff. It feels SO good to get rid of stuff and it's so much easier to keep the house clean when everything isn't busting at the seams.

If you live in the greater Seattle area, I highly recommend D. A. Burns for carpet cleaning. Instead of "shampooing" your carpet, they do hot water extraction. It's non-toxic and doesn't leave a residue so your carpets stay cleaner, longer.

No comments: