Thursday, August 6, 2009

Summer Colds


I feel like there are lots of summer colds going around this year. Whenever I feel like I could be getting sick, I run through the same routine...

1) Load up on Vitamin C
The naturopath at Pharmaca introduced me to Thorne Buffered C Powder. My husband and I both take this daily whenever we feel a cold coming on.
.
2) Make a batch of Get Well Tea
My husband and I both suck this down like crazy when we feel a cold coming on and/or the entire time we're sick.

3) Use the Neti Pot
Now that I've figured out how to use the darn thing, I love it. I use it anytime I'm feeling congested or sick. Add me to the list of people who swear by this thing.

4) Get lots of rest & drink tons of liquids
Since I was a little girl, my dad has always said rest and liquids are the most important thing. I stand by that to this day. Even when I'm not pregnant, I avoid cold medicine because it makes you feel better (albeit temporarily) and then you don't rest like you should. The better you take care of yourself initially, the faster you can hopefully kick it.
.
This is not to say I never get sick or am never wiped out for a few days, but these are the things I do to try and stay healthy when I feel those first signs of sickness coming on.

No comments: