Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sauteed Kale with Shitake Mushrooms

.
I'm constantly looking for new ways to prepare healthy greens. I find that the more I eat kale, chard and spinach, the more I crave kale, chard and spinach. I went 30 years without ever tasting these greens and now I basically have to have some every day.

My friend Tara recently told me about a great recipe with chard, soy sauce, and lemon juice with shitake mushrooms on top. Sounded delicious. My friend Marly told me about a concoction she made up with kale, shitake mushrooms, soy sauce, maple syrup and more. I decided the Shitake mushroom addition was a must-try for me.

This isn't exactly how I prepared it, but this is how I would try it next time. I was a little frazzled so I didn't do it as effortless as this recipe should be. I think this version will create the same results taste-wise but with a few less steps than I did.

Sauteed Kale with Shitake Mushrooms
Inspired by Tara and Marly

1 T olive oil
1 T butter
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups sliced Shitake mushrooms, roughly 10 mushrooms, stems removed and sliced into 1/3" slices
2 T garlic, minced
1-2 bunches kale, rinsed well, stems removed and roughly chopped (1 large bunch or 2 small bunches)
1 T ginger, minced
few drops sesame oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup chicken stock
few splashes soy sauce
freshly ground black pepper
few sprinkles toasted sesame seeds (optional)

Bring a few inches of water to a boil in a sauce pan fitted with a steam rack. Steam kale for 3-5 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool. Once cooled, squeeze out the excess liquid. Heat olive oil and butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for a few minutes. Add mushrooms and saute. Then add garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Saute for a few more minutes. Add green onion and kale. Saute for a few minutes. Add chicken stock, soy sauce and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Sprinkle sesame seeds if using. Check for seasoning and serve.



No comments: