Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Weekly Staples




I make garlic crostinis almost every week because they are good with cheese, pasta, or just on their own. George eats them as fast as I can make them. 

Garlic Crostinis

Baguette - French baguette preferably
Olive oil
Garlic clove 

Preheat oven to broil. Slice the baguette on the diagonal and place on a cookie sheet. Brush with olive oil. Broil until just golden brown. The bake time will depend largely on how long your oven was on. If it's been on broil for awhile then they brown super fast. They can go from golden to burnt in a matter of seconds under the broiler. Watch closely. I set the timer for 30 seconds at a time, until the last few seconds when I just watch them. 

Remove from oven and quickly rub the edge of a garlic clove all over the top.

I love to top with cambozola cheese or Dubliner cheddar and salami. I also include these when I have time on a cheese board or antipasto plate. 

____________________________________________________________________________

Every time I make white rice my kids ask, "Is this Mimi's rice?" and if it's not they protest. I make this almost every week too. 

Mimi's Butter Rice

Cooked white rice
Several tablespoons of butter (more than you would think!)
Chicken bouillon powder

Optional (my kids wouldn't allow it but good for adults)
Toasted pine nuts
Sliced green onion


No comments: