Thursday, October 23, 2008

Brunch Ideas


My friend Joyce asked for some ideas for a brunch she is hosting. I suggested one of two recipes I made for our Christmas brunch last year. Both turned out great. I wanted something with eggs and something sweet so I opted for the Spinach & Cheese Strata from Epicurious and a baked French toast recipe that my friend Nicole gave me. I made both recipes in the afternoon on Christmas Eve so all I had to do on Christmas morning was pop them in the oven. I also served fresh berries, croissants with butter and jam, and some famous homemade New York style Italian sausages from Sonnenberg's Market & Deli in Spokane, Washington. I highly recommend the sausage. They are nationally recognized and were featured in a food magazine awhile back (Saveur I think). My mother-in-law stocks up for us every time she goes back to Spokane and we eat it for breakfast with eggs or as an appetizer with different mustards for dipping. Give these recipes a whirl when you're hosting a brunch and order up some of that delicious sausage.

Baked French Toast
Nicole Kelly

4 eggs beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy cream
3 cup milk
1/4 lb butter
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 t pure vanilla
1 T ground cinnamon
12 slices day old French Bread (ea. 1" thick)

In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs, sugar, heavy cream, milk, melted butter, walnuts, vanilla & cinnamon. Pour the egg mixture into a greased 15X10X2 inch glass baking dish. Place the sliced bread in the dish (do not overlap). Turn once to coat other side. Cover w/ aluminum foil & refrigerate overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Remove the aluminum foil & place the dish in the center of the preheated oven. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with warmed syrups (Maple and Boysenberry).

Serves 8

1 comment:

Jenni said...

This sounds delicious! I've also added some Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate mix to my French Toast in the past, just about half an envelope adds an interesting touch!