Friday, October 10, 2008

Steak who?

Steak Diane by that lovable Paula Deen! It is so good and easy too (takes less than 20 minutes!). I like it with white rice and a veggie, but if you are watching carbs you can eat with a side of sauteed spinach or something of that sort and it is a very tasty and satisfying meal. I never think that recipes like this make enough sauce so I am in the habit now of doubling those ingredients. It still wasn't enough for my piggy husband and me so there was the usual "save some sauce for me, geez!!!" comments to accompany our meal. You can follow Paula's recipe or use my slightly adjusted version below for extra sauce and shrooms (and less fighting). Bon appetite!

Steak Diane
My slightly adjusted version of Paula Dean's

8 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
4 tablespoons minced onion
3 clove garlic, crushed
2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/8 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
3 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley leaves
1 pound beef tenderloin, cut into 8 slices


Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for a few minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and salt, and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender. Stir in the parsley; pour the sauce into a small metal bowl or saucepan, cover, and keep warm. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the skillet. Cook the steaks over medium-high heat, turning them once, for 3 to 4 minutes on each side for medium. Serve the steaks with the mushroom sauce.

P.S. For the record, I really do talk about all these things "over cocktails". I was out last night with friends and we were talking about great and easy dinners to make when hosting guests. Steak Diane was fresh on the brain so we discussed "over cocktails" and it won the debate. It will be served tonight at Lynne's house! Can't wait to hear how it turned out.

1 comment:

Lynne Shutt said...

I made this for dinner on Saturday, we had company and everyone LOVED it! I doubled the steak and tripled the sauce, but had the butcher cut the 2lbs into 12 slices, 16 slices seemed ridiculous. I cooked them for 1:30 per side and they came out perf medium-rare.
I made with white rice and broccoli, it was a great and easy dinner.