One suggestion they offered was dry skin brushing every few days. Basically you get a special loofa, brush or cloth and do a series of long brushing strokes over your body before showering. Your skin is your largest organ and that is a great way to do some easy detoxification. A few extra minutes in your daily showering ritual and voila, you're giving your skin & body a little pick me up. I'm not that consistent about it, but I definitely do it from time to time.
Did You Know?
- The skin is the largest most important eliminative organ in the body and is responsible for one quarter of the body’s detoxification each day?
- The skin eliminates over one pound of waste acids each day in the average adult, most of it through the sweat glands?
- That the skin is known also as our third kidney?
- That the skin receives one third of all the blood circulated in the body?
- That the skin is the last to receive nutrients in the body, yet the first to show signs of imbalance or deficiency?
- Detoxification is performed by a number of organs, glands, and transportation systems, including the skin, gut, kidneys, liver, lungs, lymphatic system, and mucous membranes. The dry brushing technique deals with detoxification of the skin.
- Dry brushing is a way to stimulate all the above organs of detoxification because it provides a gentle internal massage.
- If the skin becomes inactive with its pores chocked with millions of dead cells, then impurities will remain in the body. The other eliminative organs, mainly the kidneys and liver, will have to increase their labour and will eventually become overworked.
- Dry skin brushing will change the health of your whole body. Circulation, skin softness and quality, skin infections and irritations, whole body freshness, your level of stimulation, the prevention of colds, and you personal rejuvenation are all areas of improvement you can look for, when you make it to a regular habit.
How to do it:
To brush the skin, start at the soles of the feet and work your way up your legs, your front and your back, brushing as vigorously as you feel able. Then do your hands and up your arms. Focus the brush strokes, when doing your chest and upper back, towards your heart. Don't do your face, but give the back of your neck and your scalp a good go. Do this routine before you get in the shower.