Sunday, November 2, 2008

Dutch Babies for My Babies


I will never forget the moment I first tasted a Dutch Baby. It was love at first bite. My friend Lynne's mom, Marilyn, made them for us one weekend when we were in college (a lifetime ago). She served them with lemon wedges and powdered sugar and each light and fluffy, pie-shaped slice was a little bit of heaven. Of course I had to have the recipe and now I make Dutch Babies for my babies (well, husband and baby) on a regular basis. She served with turkey bacon so of course, I serve with turkey bacon. It's a perfect weekend brunch for your family.


Dutch Babies are also referred to as Dutch Nannies and Dutch Pancakes. I found a recipe on Cafe Johnsonia by way of Tangled & True for some Dutch Pancakes topped with sauteed apples, cooked with a hint of brandy. That sounds delicious as well. Maybe I will give that a whirl next time. She also takes much prettier photographs than I do. (I am asking for photography classes for Christmas so bare with me a little longer!)
.
.
Dutch Babies
Marilyn (I think she got the recipe from the newspaper)
.
Eggs
Butter
Milk (1%)
Flour
Lemon
Powdered Sugar

1. Using a large pan (paella pan, iron frying pan, baking dish), measure it’s total volume by pouring in quarts of water. When you’ve determined the pan’s volume, select the recipe proportions you need from the chart below.
2. Place butter in pan and set in a 425 oven.
3. While the butter melts, mix batter quickly. Put eggs in blender or food processor and whirl on high speed for one minute.
4. With motor running, gradually pour in milk, then slowly add flour, continuing to whirl for 30 seconds. (Or in a bowl beat eggs until blended, gradually beat in milk, then flour)
5. Remove pan from oven and pour in batter. Return pan to oven and bake until pancake is puffy and well browned (20-25 minutes, depending on pan size – less time if using 2 smaller pans)
6. Cut into wedges and serve with lemon slices and powdered sugar.

No comments: