Monday, December 15, 2008

The Best Homemade Enchiladas


My friend Lynne is great about researching recipes online. She will think of something she wants to make and go through countless recipes on Epicurious and the Food Network site perusing recipes and reading all the reviews before making her final selection. Last week she found and made Tyler Florence's recipe for Chicken Enchiladas and raved about them. They sounded so good that I made them the first chance I had and they were definitely worth raving about. The recipe makes a ton so it's perfect to feed a big group or to have lots of leftovers!
.
After a few discussions about soggy enchiladas I tried something to avoid it. Rather than slather the enchilada sauce and cheese on for the entire bake time, I just put a tiny bit of sauce on and baked for 10 minutes. Then I topped with the rest of the sauce and the cheese and broiled it (on the same middle rack) for 3-5 minutes to melt the cheese. They turned out perfect. I tried regular corn tortillas and sprouted grains corn tortillas and both were equally good. The sprouted grains tortillas weren't as easy to fold but we both liked the texture a bit more. You'd never know the difference though if you didn't eat them side by side.
.
I served these with some black beans that I heated and seasoned with lots of cumin, some salt and cayenne pepper. I also added a tablespoon of leftover enchilada sauce. Top with the enchilada toppings (sour cream, green onion and cilantro) and they're a perfect side dish. Bon appetite.
.
(Thanks Lynnie!)

No comments: