Tuesday, January 27, 2009

One Bag at a Time

"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

- Mahatma Gandhi


The other day I had to run some errands and ended up making purchases at five different stores (nothing exciting sadly). Each time the cashier had my purchase ready I asked to skip the bag because I brought an empty bag with me from home. I've been doing this for some time now (or shoving purchases in crevices of my stroller) as one small gesture to help save the planet. It's such an easy way to help cut back on waste. I know most people nowadays use the reusable shopping bags at the grocery store (if you don't you should start!) but I never ever see people at clothing stores, book stores or drug stores passing on a shopping bag. I wonder why that is. A bag is a bag. Waste is waste.

Throw some old paper shopping bags in your trunk so they're there when you need them. Or you can bring along a canvas bag like the ones from L.L.Bean (love the monogrammed ones) or these cute Be Smart Be Green bags for your next shopping outings or round of errands.

No comments: