Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Meatless Night Idea

My friend Tara said she cooks up a delicious batch of tofu stir-fry every week as one of their meatless nights. For some reason I never thought of that so I gave it a whirl on Sunday. Sadly, I forgot it was Super Bowl so while the whole country was enjoying burgers, hot dogs and fries, my carnivorous family was glaring at me between bites of the healthy "meatless night" dinner set before them. (Sorry fam!)

I served the stir fry with brown rice and my husband's sauteed cabbage. It was good, and everyone had seconds, but the recipe wasn't "blog worthy" so I'm not going to bother typing it up. Here's what I put in it though, in case it inspires you to try a version of it for your meatless night... (Tara, I need to get your recipe!)

Tofu Veggie Stir-Fry

firm tofu, cubed
ginger, minced
garlic, minced
red pepper, sliced into thin julienne strips
carrot, sliced into thin julienne strips
onion, sliced
broccoli, small florets
water chestnuts, chopped
mushrooms, sliced
green onion, chopped
toasted sesame seeds

sauce:
soy sauce
rice wine vinegar
garlic chili sauce
Schezuan stir-fry sauce
sesame oil
pepper

No comments: