Thursday, February 5, 2009

Meatless Night Robb Abrams Style

My friend Whitney is constantly inspiring me in the kitchen. Tonight I placed a "Food 911" call to her. I didn't want to run to the store and needed some ideas of what to cook with things I had in the fridge and pantry. She told me about a standard meal in her house growing up that is super good for you. She said her husband requests it all the time when he's craving something healthy. Perfect, I could use something healthy after the lunch I ate today.

Meatless Night Robb Abrams Style

Black beans cooked with onion, garlic, cumin, hot sauce and a bay leaf
Brown rice
Broccoli - steamed, then tossed with olive oil and fresh lemon juice
"A hunk of cheese" (I used cheddar)

I topped the rice with the beans and served in a bowl with some broccoli and the "hunk of cheese" on the side. It was easy to prepare, meatless, good tasting and good for you. I will definitely be making this again for meatless night. My goal is to increase meatless night from one to two days if I can come up with enough things to make. (Send me your favorite meatless recipes pretty please!)

No comments: