Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chicken Caesar Dinner

photo courtesy of Martha Stewart


The other night I was craving something light and fresh for dinner. A crisp cold salad was just the thing to capture my heart. I made the most delicious chicken caesar for dinner and had extra fixings for the next two day's lunches.

I bought two bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts and cooked them "Ina-style" (olive oil, salt & pepper, bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes). I stored them in the fridge and each day when I was ready for my salad I would cut some strips of the chicken and warm it in the oven. I turned the oven to broil to give them a little crisp to the edges and it heats them up quickly.

Next you can get a head or two of romaine and get it all prepped and ready (washed, spun and ripped up, then store in large Ziploc bags with paper towels to pull the moisture). I like to prep it the day I buy it and then it's ready to go when you need it.
.
Toss romaine with a homemade caesar or good store-bought dressing. If you live in Seattle, I highly recommend the caesar dressing from Pasta & Co. It's awesome.

I always drizzle my caesars with fresh lemon juice and freshly ground pepper. It makes a store-bought dressing taste better. Also toss with some freshly grated or shaved Parmigiano Reggiano.

And finally, great croutons are a must. You can make your own or find especially good ones in the bakery section of the grocery store (rather than the boxed ones). If you live in Seattle Grand Central Bakery has the best caesar croutons.

I love this meal on a hot day or when I want something easy and light.

No comments: