Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Easy Homemade BBQ Sauce

My friend Whitney is a great resource for easy, good food. She has a really laid back approach to cooking and rarely measures anything out. She is the mastermind behind the lentil soup with chorizo. She just whipped that up one day with whatever she had in the house and now it is one of my all-time favorite soups.

The other night she invited me over for dinner and I quickly accepted. She made BBQ chicken with a delicious homemade sauce. It wasn't your typical super-sweet BBQ sauce and it had a nice zing to it (from the Worcestershire sauce I imagine). She served it with baked beans and brown rice. I brought my favorite salad along and it was a perfect dinner.

Being the crazy person that I am, I made it for my family a few days later and we had leftovers the following night too. The beauty of this dinner is that in the time it takes you to cook the brown rice, you can make the marinade, BBQ the chicken, heat the beans and even roast some asparagus. Four courses in 45 minutes. This dinner is a keeper.

I used three chicken breasts and made two batches of the sauce - one for the chicken and one to use for drizzling. When it comes to sauce, my motto is "better too much than too little".

BBQ Chicken Dinner

2 T olive oil
1/2 cup red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup A1 steak sauce
1 1/2 T Worcestershire
1 t sage
1 t ground pepper
2 chicken breasts, cut in half


Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a few more minutes. Add wine, ketchup, A1, Worcestershire sauce, sage and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes. Pour all but a small amount over chicken and let sit for 5 minutes. BBQ chicken on the grill. When you flip the chicken, slather it with more sauce. Drizzle the extra sauce (not the sauce that touched the raw chicken) over rice or the chicken.

Serve with baked beans, brown rice, a grilled veggie or green salad.

No comments: