Monday, June 29, 2009

Farmers Market Dinner - Halibut Fish Tacos & Broccoli


At the farmers market on Sunday I bought fresh halibut, cabbage, cilantro and broccoli for tonight's dinner. I used my friend Amanda's recipe for fish tacos and my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed them. It was a light and healthy dinner that I will definitely make again.

Fish tacos would be great served with rice and beans but I'm trying to eat more veggies so I opted for broccoli as a side dish. I made this easy preparation.... boil broccoli florets for 2 minutes, then drain and run under cold water. Saute 1 T of minced garlic and 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes in olive oil, then throw the broccoli back in for a few minutes to return to heat. Salt and pepper and it's ready to go.

Fish Tacos

Halibut or cod (I used halibut)
1 bottle Corona
2 T olive oil

Spice mixture for fish (or use a pre-made cajun seasoning)
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper – more or less to your taste
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground white pepper

Sauce
1 cup sour cream (or 3/4 sour cream and 1/4 plain nonfat yogurt)

2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
2 T chopped cilantro
1/2 garlic clove, minced, then sprinkled with salt and mashed into a paste with the side of a knife
1/4 - 1/2 t hot sauce (like Cholula)
lots of salt & freshly ground black pepper
.
Fixings
Corn or flour tortillas, warmed in the oven (I prefer flour but it's a personal preference)
Half a cabbage, thinly sliced like for a slaw
Pico de gallo , store-bought or homemade (so easy to make, my recipe below)
Avocado, chopped
Limes, quartered
Cilantro, chopped
Cheese, shredded (optional)
Cholula hot sauce or another brand
.
Pico de Gallo (rough recipe since I didn't measure)
2 tomatoes, minced
1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed, minced (or more if you can handle it)
2 T red onion, minced
2 T cilantro
juice of one lime
salt
.
Rinse fish and pat to dry. Brush with olive oil and then apply the spice mixture. Add oil to a hot skillet and cook the fish on each side for a few minutes. Add Corona to pan, not covering the fish but enough that it almost poaches/steams it. Cover and let cook for a few minutes until fillet is cooked through. Warm tortillas in oven (I like to add cheddar cheese), top with cabbage, then fish and whatever toppings you prefer.

1 comment:

michele c said...

Made these this week and everyone loved them! Thanks for the recipe, it's hard to find fish tacos that aren't bland or fried!