Sunday, June 14, 2009

Farmers Market Dinner


Another great dinner with the following fresh ingredients from the farmers market....

Salmon
I got the most delicious "marbled" salmon from the charismatic trio at the Wilson Fish booth. I've never tried marbled salmon so they convinced me to try it. The guys were right; it is fantastic and not fishy at all. I made up the recipe below using basil and chives from my herb garden and dill from my mother-in-law's. Turned out great.

Garlic-Herb Bread
I bought this great loaf from the Pacific Coast Bakery booth. I sliced a few pieces, toasted it and of course added some butter. Yummy.

Asparagus
My usual preparation - olive oil, salt, pepper, toss and grill.

Romaine, Butter Lettuce
I made one of my most favorite salads of all time.

Brown Rice
Cooked with chicken stock instead of water.

Leftovers for Tomorrow
Toast 2 slices of the garlic herb bread. Spread each piece with lemon-yogurt herb sauce (recipe below). Add slices of salmon and top with romaine or butter lettuce.
.
Here is the recipe I made up for the salmon after perusing the Internet for inspiration...
.
Grilled Salmon with Lemon-Yogurt Herb Sauce
.
For the salmon
.
Fillet of salmon (I used a 1.25lb fillet)
olive oil
salt & pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon, sliced
1/2 lemon, juiced
3 sprigs dill
1 T white wine or sherry
.
For the sauce
.
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 clove garlic, minced and mashed into a paste
3 or 4 T minced dill
2 T chives, minced
2 t basil, minced
juice of one lemon
1/2 t white wine vinegar
1/4 t garlic salt
salt and freshly ground pepper
.
Prepare sauce by mixing all ingredients together in a bowl. Check for flavor. I kept adding more salt, pepper and herbs until I felt it was right. The recipe is my best guess at how much I used of each ingredient. Put sauce in fridge until you're ready to serve.
.
Rinse salmon and pat dry. Place fillet on a large piece of foil. Squeeze lemon juice over fillet, then rub olive oil into the salmon. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and minced garlic. Lay three sprigs of dill across the fillet and top with lemon slices. Wrap foil around salmon so it's enclosed. Place on the grill for roughly 10-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of your fillet. Make sure not to overcook on the grill as the fish will continue to cook through once it's been removed from the grill. Serve salmon with a large dollar of sauce on top.

No comments: