Monday, July 13, 2009

Freezing Berries

.
Yesterday at the farmers market I bought three flats of berries. I tried to buy one raspberry and one blueberry but the guy offered me a great deal on the price of three so I couldn't resist.
.
If you haven't tried them yet, I highly recommend the local berries right now. They are so sweet and delicious.
.
When I got home from the market I gave the berries a quick rinse and then laid them out on kitchen towels to dry. Once dry I put them on cookie sheets and placed them in the freezer overnight so they would freeze individually. Today I transferred them to freezer safe Ziploc bags. I got as much air as possible out of the bags (to avoid freezer burn) by closing them almost all the way, then sticking a straw in and sucking out all the air before quickly sealing that last little opening. Worked like a charm.
.
Now I have fresh, local berries, grown without pesticides, ready to go for cobblers, smoothies, and more. Great way to support local, sustainable farmers and save yourself some money on frozen berries throughout the year!

No comments: