Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Little Taste of Heaven



For some reason I started thinking about those ice cream dixie cups we all used to eat as kids. The ones with vanilla ice cream swirled with orange sherbet that you ate with a little wooden spoon. I was craving that creamy blend of flavors and decided it would be fun to make my own.
.
I couldn't find orange sherbet at my neighborhood grocery store but I did find some mango tangerine sorbet that I thought would do the trick. I had a second set of the Tovolo popsicle molds so I got those out tonight and got to work. These ice cream bars were so fast and easy to make, not to mention absolutely delicious. Lucky for me, there wasn't enough room for all the ice cream in the molds so there was lots of leftover ice cream to enjoy tonight. I can't wait to try one of the ice cream bars tomorrow once they're frozen and ready to go.
.
This would be a fun project to do with your kids on a hot summer day!

My Homemade "Dixie Cup" Ice Cream Bars
1 pint Double Rainbow mango & tangerine sorbet
1 pint (or more) Julie's Organic vanilla ice cream (my favorite)
1/4-1/2 cup orange juice
1/4-1/2 cup whole milk

Take the ice cream and sorbet out of the freezer about 10-20 minutes before you need them so they soften up. Put the ice cream and sorbet into a blender and pour some milk and orange juice over the top. Blend for a minute or so and then stir to combine. Add more milk and orange juice as needed. Repeat until well blended and really soft. Spoon into popsicle molds and place in your freezer until you're ready to enjoy.

No comments: