Saturday, August 22, 2009

Comfort Food - Chicken Casserole


When I brought my baby girl home from the hospital (which feels like yesterday even though it was two years ago), my mother-in-law brought over an old-school chicken casserole that hit the spot. When you're exhausted, in pain, and emotional, there's nothing like comfort food on the table to make you feel better. I've since made this recipe for friends when they have babies and everyone loves it. I served it the other night with Orangette's Cabbage with Hot Sauce. Perfect dinner, not too filling, plenty of room for popcorn or dessert... or both.

Chicken Casserole

1 box long grain wild rice
3/4 cup of mayonnaise
1 cup of chopped celery
2 small onions, diced
1 small green pepper, diced
1 cup of water chestnuts, diced
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2 or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded into small pieces
1 container crispy onions (a must!)

Cook chicken and shred. My mother-in-law poaches the chicken in about 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of white wine over very low heat for about 20-30 minutes. I cooked mine as I always do – Ina style. Buy bone-in, skin-on breasts. Sprinkle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes (more or less depending on size of breasts).

Cook box of rice as directed.

Mix all ingredients and refrigerate overnight (I refrigerated all day but not overnight).

Bake for 55 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove and top with crispy onions. Return to oven for five more minutes. Serve.

No comments: