Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Yes, I am crazy!


My friend Amy said they've been using the season's fresh halibut for homemade fish and chips. It sounded wonderful so, of course, I was on a mission. I got fresh halibut at the farmers market and had my parents and brother over to enjoy some homemade fish and chips.

I am definitely a crazy bird when it comes to cooking new things. Unable to zero in on one recipe, I always end up testing a few. That way I know which is the best for next time. For this meal I made two versions of fish, three versions of coleslaw, and had one homemade tartar and one store-bought tartar. I gave myself a break in the "chips" department and used Alexia's Yukon Gold Julienne Fries with Sea Salt from the frozen section. I love those fries and they are all the better dipped in tartar sauce.

For the fish, I tried Barefoot Contessa's Parker's Fish & Chips recipe (top photo) and then made a batch using panko (second photo), inspired by my friends Pat and Amy. I wasn't sure how they season the fish (or flour mixture) so I took a few ideas from Ina's. (Recipe below.)

The consensus? The panko version definitely looked better with the beautiful golden crust. Ina's was a bit lighter but I preferred the panko version. Both were delicious and I would happily make either version again.

I used a store-bought tartar sauce from Whole Foods (fresh from the refrigerated section) and made Tyler Florence's homemade tartar. This also brought on mixed reviews. Everyone else liked the store-bought tartar because it was more traditional but I couldn't get enough of Tyler's. I LOOOOOVED it. I didn't follow his recipe exactly, using less of everything and skipping the parsley because I was out. It was fantastic. I even made a second batch the next day to have with leftover fish.


For the coleslaw-athon I made Ina's Vegetable Coleslaw for a traditional option, Everybody Likes Sandwiches Lemon, Parmesan & Chickpea Cabbage Salad for a non-traditional cabbage slaw, and my mother-in-law's coleslaw because I remembered loving it. The chickpea version was good, but couldn't stand up against the punch of the other two. I think it would be great for lunch or a side dish with another meal but it didn't pack enough punch for this dinner. Ina's was great but my mother-in-laws was hands down the best. (Recipe below.) We were wiping the bowl clean to get every last morsel of hers. I will be filing hers away as my new coleslaw recipe never to be replaced.

Panko Version
Inspired by Pat & Amy

1 1/2 pounds fresh halibut fillets
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t freshly grated lemon zest
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large egg

2 cups panko
Peanut oil, for frying


In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in 1/2 cup of water and then the egg. Pour 1/2-inch of oil into a large (12-inch) frying pan and heat it to about 360 degrees F. Dip each fillet into the batter, allowing the excess to drip back into the bowl, then dip into panko. Place it very carefully into the hot oil. Don't crowd the pieces. Adjust the heat as needed to keep the oil between 360 and 400 degrees F. Cook the fish on each side for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove to a plate lined with a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and serve hot with the "chips."

Coleslaw
Recipe from my mother-in-law

I didn't write down the quantities that I used so this is my best guess. You will have to make the dressing and taste in case you want to make any adjustments. The trick to this one is you want the dressing to be more runny and less creamy (from mayo) than traditional coleslaw dressings.

4 cups green cabbage, shredded/sliced thinly with a knife (I used a sweetheart cabbage which they said at the market is a bit sweeter)
1 cup red cabbage, shredded/sliced thinly with a knife
1/3 cup carrot, shredded
1/4 cup red onion, sliced paper thin
1/3 cup mayo
6 T seasoned rice vinegar
2-3 t sugar
salt & pepper

Mix green and red cabbage, carrot and onion in a large bowl. Mix mayo, rice vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Adjust for seasoning. Put both bowls in the fridge until shortly before you're ready to serve (10-30 minutes). Pour dressing over cabbage mixture and toss.

No comments: