Sunday, September 13, 2009

Farmers Market Dinner & Meatless Night Together Again


My friend Lynne told me about a great pasta she made using heirloom tomatoes and fresh pasta from the farmers market. It sounded delicious, quick and easy. It also used ingredients from the farmers market and was a great meatless night dinner so it was right up my alley. I made it tonight and loved it! It was so light, fresh and flavorful. (Thanks Lynnie!)

Our entire dinner was from the market in fact...

I served the pasta with crostinis using a baguette from Tall Grass Bakery and my new favorite salad (mixing red leaf butter lettuce and romaine). For dessert we gobbled up ice cream bars from Whidbey Island Ice Cream Company. The whole meal was so good that I'm making it all over again tomorrow night.

Fettuccine with Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil & Feta

3 heirloom tomatoes, diced (one red, one green, one orange or yellow)
2 T olive oil
5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 T)
1/8 t red chili flakes
1/2 cup white wine
2 T basil, minced
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Fresh fettuccine noodles
Feta cheese, crumbled (from River Valley Ranch) *

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes. Then add red chili flakes. Stir in tomatoes and saute for a few minutes. Add wine and increase heat to high until it comes to a mild boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir in basil, salt and pepper. Continue to cook until ready to serve (5-20 minutes).

Cook noodles according to directions in a large pot of boiling salted water. Fresh noodles generally only take a few minutes to cook so make sure to read the cooking instructions. Drain water and toss noodles with sauce. Transfer to plates and sprinkle with feta cheese.

* Lynne used parmesan on the pasta which I'm sure would be fantastic. I used feta from the market because it sounded good and I was craving something a little creamier.

1 comment:

Lynne Shutt said...

yay buns! hope you liked it. :)