Thursday, November 19, 2009

Curried Butternut Squash Soup w/ Coconut Milk

.Photo courtesy of TasteFood


I thought my Roasted Butternut Squash Soup was great for a basic recipe, but after making it twice in two weeks, I wanted to try something a little different for week three. It's one of my favorite soups on earth and I've never tried one I didn't like so it's always fun to try a new variation. I'm a fan of Ina's Curried Butternut Squash Soup with coconut, banana, scallions and cashews as toppings (featured in her Back to Basics cookbook). This time I was inspired by the recipe for Golden Squash Soup using curry and coconut milk as featured in the daily newsletter I get from The World's Healthiest Foods. Here's my version. It may be my favorite one yet.

Curried Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

2 medium to large size butternut squash
2 T olive oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 medium shallot, diced
5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced
2 T fresh ginger, minced
1/2 Honeycrisp apple, cut into chunks
8 cups chicken broth
1 t curry
1/4 t coriander
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 can coconut milk (I used light because it's what I had on hand but regular would be fine too)

Heat oven to 400. Cut squash into quarters and place cut-side down on a nonstick baking sheet rubbed with a bit of olive oil. Pour about 1/4 cup water over the squash, and roast for 45 min-1 hour, until it's fork-tender. Allow to cool. Remove seeds and scoop out the flesh.

In large stock pot, heat oil and cook onion over medium heat for about 5-8 minutes. Add shallots, ginger and garlic and saute for a few minutes making sure not to brown onions or garlic. Add herbs and stir, then add squash, apple and stock. Season with salt & pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (or more).

Stir in coconut milk. Then use a hand-held immersion blender or puree soup in a blender until smooth.

Return to the pot and check seasoning. Stir in cilantro and serve.

No comments: