Monday, December 28, 2009

Tomato Soup & Poached Eggs Over Homemade Croutons


As you may already know, my freezer is stocked with food for a lazy day. I pulled two large jars of tomato soup out on Sunday thinking I'd use them for lunch this week. Well I wasn't feeling great on Monday so I decided to hold off on the Ma Pa Tofu and tap into the tomato soup for dinner. I brought the soup to heat and swirled in some half and half to make it creamy. Then I got creative, inspired by a great tomato soup at La Medusa and a recipe I just saw in my Mad Hungry cookbook for eggs poached in tomato sauce. I had delicious homemade croutons left over from the night before so I threw a layer on the bottom of each soup bowl. Then I grabbed some fresh eggs from the farmers market and slid a few into the pan of simmering tomato soup. After 8-10 minutes in the soup, I fished out the eggs with a slotted spoon and rested them on top of the croutons. I poured the tomato soup over the eggs and voila, dinner in less than 20 minutes. It was delicious and a great new dinner recipe to add to my rotation. You can find lots of recipes online for poached eggs in tomato sauce or soup. Give it a try sometime instead of the old grilled cheese stand-by. Bon appetite!

No comments: