Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Recipes: Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli, Split Pea Soup

.
I made the Amateur Gourmet's Roasted Shrimp & Broccoli for dinner last night. It was quite good. The broccoli was especially flavorful. I served it with quinoa which I thought worked well. I will definitely make this again since it's quick, healthy and flavorful.

I also had some leftover Split Pea Soup that I made to have on hand for lunches. I tried a new recipe from my friend Heather's site and "borrowed" the ham hock from my finished chicken stock. After cooking the ham hock in the split pea soup, I used the meat for the chicken broth soup. That way both soups got to soak up the great flavor from it.

I was happy to stretch my whole chicken into three meals (roast chicken, some shredded chicken for mexican tortilla soup, and chicken stock), my ham hock into two meals (chicken stock and split pea soup) and my prawns into two meals (roasted shrimp and prawn stock). Buying food at the farmers market is expensive but if you plan your meals efficiently, you can stretch your food.

No comments: