Sunday, March 14, 2010

Miso Glazed Black Cod - To Die For

.Photo courtesy of Rasa Malaysia



I had the best piece of Miso Glazed Black Cod in Hawaii so I tried to recreate it last week. Mine wasn't as good, but it was still fantastic. Black Cod is so moist and buttery and this preparation is light and flavorful. I loved it. Can't wait to get my hands on more Black Cod from my pals at Wilson Fish.

I looked over numerous recipes and settled on a version of my own, based on these three...

1)
Mark Bittman
2)
Food & Wine
3) Rasa Malaysia


C's Miso Glazed Black Cod

2 fillets fresh caught Black Cod, skin removed
1/2 cup organic white miso
1/4 cup sake
2 T honey

Whisk together the white miso, sake and honey in a bowl. Transfer to a large ziploc bag. Rinse fish and pat dry, then add to ziploc. Move fish around to cover in marinade and refrigerate for 24-48 hours.

Preheat oven to 400. Remove fish and wipe off excess marinade. Heat a small amount of oil (I used canola) in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add fish to pan and cook for roughly two minutes per side. Transfer fish to a baking dish and place in oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove and serve with white rice and an Asian style vegetable (bok choy, cabbage, etc).

* I think next time I will try to marinate for two days instead of one. Also, most recipes call for mirin. I used Mark Bittman's recommendation and used honey instead. Next time I might try the mirin just to see how different it is.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yeah, I was just going to say I use mirin in mine and it really adds a special flavor but I also use white sugar.. I like the idea of using something unrefined. I wonder is the honey and the mirin would be cool to use together or too much? The one thing I like about the sugar (which I use the organic cane sugar from WF) is that it adds a delightful caramelization with a clean taste.. if that makes sense?