Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Keeper: Crisp Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Slaw

.

Tonight I made a variation of Smitten Kitchen's Crisp Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Slaw and loved them.
.
With a little extra prep last night, I was able to do most of the work for tonight's dinner. I made Cumin Black Beans to go with the chicken enchiladas so I just doubled the recipe. I chopped extra cilantro and green onion last night so that was also ready to go. Tonight, all I had to do was re-heat the beans, slice up some cabbage to mix with the green onion, cilantro and lime juice, and heat the tortillas. Could it be any easier?
.
I think one trick to this recipe is making sure the tortilla is nice and crisp, hence the name. I'm also a fan of hot sauce so I used two different kinds (Cholula and my aunt's homemade hot sauce). My husband added thinly sliced jalapenos to his too, for added kick. I wouldn't have thought to use feta cheese for this type of taco but it was delicious.
.
I loved these and will definitely be adding them to my rotation. You can't beat a dinner that's quick, easy, tasty, and cheap. Perfect for meatless night too.

1 comment:

Saks Fifth Avenue said...

Oh, these are yummy. At first the recipe didn't appeal to me much, but when I realized that I had everything needed already in the house I figured it was fate - how often does that happen? Boy am I glad a tried them. Delicious and easy. "A Keeper", alright. Thanks for the inspiration.