Thursday, April 8, 2010

Quick & Healthy White Bean & Kale Dish

.
The other day I opened my fridge to find a bunch of odds and ends from various other recipes. I didn't want to waste anything so I threw it all in a pot and voila, a perfect lunch or side dish. I've made it three times now and each time I used different measurements. It always turns out great so no need to follow the recipe exactly. Such a healthy little concoction that's perfect for lunch or a side dish for dinner.

White Bean & Kale Side Dish

1-2 T olive oil
10 cloves garlic, thinly sliced (about a 1/4 cup)
1/8 t red chili flakes
4 large handfuls of chopped kale (Maybe 3-5 cups worth. I used lacinato kale.)
1 t fresh oregano, minced
1 - 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 - 1 can 15oz can whole peeled tomatoes
1 can cannellini beans
freshly ground pepper
kosher salt

Heat olive oil in a large sauce pan or dutch oven over medium heat. Cook garlic for a few minutes being careful not to burn. Add chili flakes and kale. Saute for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more olive oil if garlic is starting to burn. Add oregano and cook for another minute. Add chicken stock and tomatoes with their juice, mashing tomatoes with your hand. Bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat to simmer and add beans, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 20-45 minutes.

You could even top with a little freshly grated parmesan since everything in life is better with cheese.

1 comment:

Saks Fifth Avenue said...

Funny. I experienced the same thing the other night when I opened my fridge. I went to epicurious and typed in the two ingredients I had - kale (tuscan) and rice and combined a few recipes. I came up with a similar concoction except I started with onions and garlic and used chick peas instead of white beans. It was yummy over brown rice.