Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Swedish Rye Bread

.
My friend Therese (one of my favorite names by the way) just moved to Seattle from Denmark. When we first met, I asked her what she missed most about Denmark. She said she really missed the hearty bread that's a staple for Danish people. She said the closest thing she could find in Seattle was, funny enough, Ikea's Swedish Rye Bread Mix. You gotta love Ikea!
.
She gave me a box to try and told me all the ways they love to eat it... as an open-faced sandwich with a slice of cheese, salami, pate, or tomato, buttered with an egg, as regular sandwich bread for tuna fish, or with salmon cakes.
.
So of course, here I go with my rye bread phase. She instructed me to stir it in a bowl (rather than shake in the carton as the directions say) and add three generous pinches of salt and 2-3 squeezes of syrup. It turns out soft on the inside and crunchy on the outside.
.
I made it last night and at 9pm my husband, daughter and I enjoyed a piece fresh out of the oven, slathered in butter. Delicious. This morning, I toasted a piece and ate it buttered with a poached egg on top. Again, delicious. For lunch, I made an open-faced sandwich with salami and Parrano cheese. You know it... delicious!
.
Next on my list... salmon cakes.
.
Therese's Salmon Cakes
.
1-2 fillets of salmon
Squeeze of lemon or lime (be generous)
Some whole grain flour – wheat or spelt
A teaspoon or two of capers
1 egg
Pinch of salt

Mix it all in a blender or food processor until you have the desired consistency – add an extra egg if it’s too “dry”. Form cakes with a spoon and fry them in a pan with butter. Serve with a bit of salt and lemon on top and of course the rye bread…heaven!

No comments: