The other day I was taking a Bar Method class and while deep in the burn of one of the exercises, I escaped to a happy place. A place where I thought of all the reasons I come to this class and how much I love it, despite the burn. Here are some of the reasons that crossed my mind while I was going "up an inch" and "down an inch". If you heart Bar like I heart Bar, let me know if I missed anything.
11. You don't risk an injury. They are very specific about body alignment to avoid excess or incorrect weight on any joints.
12. Similar to yoga, everyone is at their own level and going for their own personal best. No need to keep up with the person near you or do the advanced version before you're ready.
13. Since you don't really sweat, you don't have to run home and shower like a traditional class and I never get red faced like I do after a cardio workout.
14. The studio feels so clean. You don't leave with that "ick" feeling like so many gyms or clubs.
15. The teachers adjust your form during class if you're not in the right position. Sometimes they'll move your leg a few inches and it will completely change the exercise. I love this about Bar. If you're going to take the time and spend the money to do a class, don't you want to do the moves properly so you can get the most out of it? Never take offense. They are only doing it to help you, and you will thank them later!
16. The teachers also give a lot of positive feedback which helps you not give up when you're feeling like you can't go on for one more second. Anytime I'm trying to step it up to the advance version of a move, they notice and cheer me on.
17. And for Seattleites thinking about taking a class in Redmond... I love my teachers Bev & Maika. They are so friendly, positive and encouraging.
Now go find your closest Bar class and get going.... tuck, tuck, tuck, tuck....