Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Meyer Lemons and Green Olives

..

My friend Tara bought me this jar of Preserved Meyer Lemons from Amy Pennigton, author of Go Go Green Garden blog and the new cookbook Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen. I love. Such a pretty presentation and how exciting to have a new homemade specialty item to try. I always shy away from recipes with preserved meyer lemons (odd, I know) and now I have a reason to try them. Tonight I made a variation of a recipe I found on Epicurious for Moroccan Chicken with Preserved Meyer Lemons and Green Olives. I went to PFI and bought some fantastic pitted green olives for the dish. I served with cous cous and broccoli (boiled for 2 or 3 minutes, then seasoned with butter and chicken bouillon). It was light and flavorful. I will definitely make it again.

Do you have any great recipes calling for preserved meyer lemons? If so, please share. I'm antsy to keep using these while they're good.
.
Moroccan Chicken w/ Preserved Meyer Lemons & Green Olives
Adapted from Epicurious
.
4 chicken legs, cut apart into drumsticks and thighs (or 6 thighs)
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6-8 pieces preserved Meyer lemons (1 1/2 or 2 lemons)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 cups pitted green olives, roughly chopped
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro

Scrape pulp from preserved lemon, reserving for another use. Cut rind into thin strips and set aside.

Pat chicken dry, then season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Saute chicken until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm, covered.

Add remaining tablespoon oil to skillet and reduce heat to moderate. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for a few minutes (I threw in a little butter too since a little butter never hurt a recipe). Add turmeric and pepper and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
.
Add wine and deglaze pan, scraping up brown bits. Add broth and bring to a quick boil. Add strips of preserved lemon and olives.
.
Return chicken to the pan, along with any juices that accumulated on the plate. Cover and braise chicken until cooked through, about 15-20 minutes. Check seasoning. (I added a little squeeze of lemon juice.)
.
Serve chicken over cous cous. Then spoon sauce over the top of the chicken and sprinkle with cilantro.

No comments: