Sunday, September 12, 2010

The #8 Crepe

.
We packed the car and headed east to Lake Chelan for a few final days of sunshine before hunkering down for nine months of gray skies and vitamin D deficiencies. Of course I wasn't taking any risks so I did a little googling on the way to check out the restaurant scene (or lack thereof I figured). Thanks again Ali Scheff for some direction on where I can over-eat. I found her Seattle Magazine article on Chelan and knew I had to head straight for the Bear Foods Cafe Creperie. Who knew that allergy friendly crepe batter could be so good?! Bear Foods developed a batter with no gluten, dairy, sugar, eggs or soy. After stressing over the menu I ordered a #8, and after inhaling it, I returned to the counter to order a second #8. Yes, it was that good. So good that I even returned the next day for, guess what, another #8. Some people think I'm crazy. They're right.

I even meandered back to the counter at one point to see if they'd sell me some of the sauce. They couldn't but they told me how to make it. Love them! They also have me the (complex!) recipe for their crepe batter. If you want it, please contact me and I'll scan it for you.

I figured I could re-create this little beauty on a hot crispy tortilla. It won't be the same without that perfect crepe batter, but it will have to do.

The #8

Delicious crepe batter
Black beans
Cherry tomatoes
Cabbage
Sharp cheddar
Roasted red peppers
Red onions
Cilantro
Chili lime sauce

Chili Lime Sauce

Chili garlic sauce (roughly 2 T)
Mae Ploy sweet chili sauce (roughly 1/2 cup)
Fresh lime juice (2 limes)

No comments: