Here are some tips on how to avoid dust mites from a Yahoo email my friend Lynne told me about. Whatever you do, don't make the mistake I just did and Google Image "dust mites". It took my heeby jeebies to a whole new level.
(HealthDay News) -- Dust mites, each smaller than a period at the end of a printed sentence, produce waste that's a common cause of allergies and asthma.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help you get rid of dust mites:
- Cover your mattress in a dust-proof cover with a tight weave.
- Wash all bed linens weekly in very hot water.
- Place pillows in dust-proof covers or wash them weekly.
- Avoid putting carpeting in your bedroom.
- Vacuum all carpeting and upholstery in your home weekly.
- Use an air filter that helps get rid of dust mites.
- Wipe down hard surfaces with a moist rag each week.