Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vegetable Tian

.
I learned how to make this Vegetable Tian in the Olaiya Land cooking class I took this summer. I made it regularly for weeks while the summer squash, eggplant and tomatoes where in abundance at the farmers market. I wish I got my act together to post the recipe then, while the ingredients were at their best, but better late than never. This is a perfect summer side dish. Tuck it away for next year. You won't be sorry.

It's also quite beautiful. I prepped the leeks in my Le Creuset braiser and then just finished it off in the same pan. If serving for guests, I would transfer the leeks to a prettier baking dish (white preferably) and bake in there before serving.

.
.





Provencal Tian

6 T olive oil
1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, quartered lengthwise, rinsed well, and cut into 1/4-inch slices (1 1/2 cups)
1 garlic clove, minced (I used 2 or 3 cloves)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 zucchini, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (1cup)
1 yellow squash, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
2 plum tomatoes, very thinly sliced (3 cups)
1 small Italian eggplant, unpeeled, very thinly sliced (1 cup)
1/4 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
1 T chopped fresh oregano
Freshly grated parmesan, for serving


Preheat oven to 375. Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leek and saute for a few minutes until soft, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add garlic and saute for a few more minutes. Spread in a 9-inch gratin or round baking dish.

Arrange vegetables on leek in slightly overlapping circles, alternating zucchini, squash, tomatoes, and eggplant.

Top with wine, 1 tablespoon oil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Bake 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining oil. (I also added some parmesan at this time). Bake until vegetables are tender, 30 minutes more. Serve with parmesan.

Makes one 9-inch tian.
.

No comments: