Sunday, December 12, 2010

Be Happy, Make Pie!

..
I would never consider baking a pie. It is so far out of my comfort zone in the kitchen. I wouldn't even know the first thing about it. Until tonight...
/
I just graduated from The Art of the Pie cooking class!
.
With the thoughtful instruction from master pie baker and teacher, Kate McDermott, I baked a pie all by myself, from scratch. It was one of the best cooking classes I've ever done. Kate was such a joy to learn from. She is beyond knowledgeable about baking pies, she loves to teach and exudes excitement for baking pies. First you learn the process, then you put it into action making your very own pie. And she doesn't just teach you the measurements and methods, she makes it fun and demands that you give your pie lots of good energy and love --- nothing but positive energy toward those tricky little crusts. I learned so much, had a blast, ate good food and great pie, and came home with a beautiful and delicious apple pie that I made. (I'm still in shock that I successfully made one.)
.
I highly recommend this class for seasoned bakers and scaredy cats alike. Act fast though because the classes fill up lickety split.
.
(Thank you to Kate for the class and to Allison for signing me up!)
..
Just a few of the many testimonials...
.
“I’ve been baking pies my entire life, but making them with Kate was a liberating experience. With pioneer spirit she throws the textbook out the window and comes up with absolutely perfect crust filled with fruit that actually sings to you telling you when it’s ready to be removed from the oven. Great fun and great food.”

---Ruth Reichl, Editor in Chief, Gourmet Magazine


"I can't get over the crust--it's certainly the best one we've ever tested in the kitchen. It will also be the one I use at home from now on!"

---Liz Pearson, Kitchen Director, Saveur Magazine


No comments: