Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Croissant, Danish, Brioche - Oh My!

.

My friend Ali (who also happens to be the food editor for Seattle Magazine so you gotta trust her!) was raving about the "best croissants", delicious pastries and amazing quiche at Cafe Besalu in Ballard. She had me at "best croissants" and I was there in a jiffy.

On our first visit we went for it and between my daughter, husband and I, we took down a croissant, a chocolate croissant (or should I say "pain au chocolat"), a raspberry danish, and an orange brioche. It was a bit too much, but irresistible. We left with over-stuffed bellies and a new favorite place. We've been every week since and have made it part of our Sunday morning ritual on our way to the farmers market. We've tried all the goods and they never disappoint. My husband and daughter have a soft spot for the ham and cheese pastry. My new obsession is the plum danish with frangipane. I've never, ever, ever tasted a pastry so good. I just called to place an order for a brunch I'm hosting and they said Sunday was the last day for the plum danish because they don't have any more plums for the season. I'll be crying my eyes out until next winter. Seriously.

Next time you head to the Ballard, make a morning pit-stop for a coffee and pastry at Cafe Besalu. Dress warm because the line is always out the door!
.

No comments: