Sunday, January 2, 2011

Spinach Salad w/ Roasted Yams

.
I had four yams in the cupboard haunting me for weeks after Thanksgiving. I cannot waste food so I had to cook those damn yams but wasn't in the mood for anything too yammy. What to do, what to do.

I used my friend Tara's recipe for roasting the yams and since they were cut into small chunks, I thought they'd be perfect for a salad. I had leftover spinach and dressing from the night before (I can't stop making Ali's Spinach Salad with Apples & Fennel) so I decided to make something up using those ingredients. I threw in some other items from the cupboard and voila - a delicious new salad recipe.

C's Roasted Yam & Spinach Salad

Baby spinach leaves, rinsed three times (learned this from Ina)
Tara's Roasted Yam Bites (recipe below)
Candied walnuts or pecans
Cranberries

Tara's Roasted Yam Bites

Preheat oven to 400. Peel yams and cut into large bite-sized pieces. Peel 6 cloves of garlic. Put 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 t maple syrup in a glass jar and shake vigorously. Toss yam bites and whole garlic cloves in a large bowl with the olive oil/syrup mixture, 2 rosemary sprigs and salt and pepper. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring a few times while it roasts. After 30 minutes the yams should be fork tender and ready to eat as a snack or in a salad.


Dressing
Borrowed from Ali's Spinach Salad with Apples & Fennel

1 T honey
1 T + 1 t Dijon
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 good olive oil
salt & pepper
.

No comments: