Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pancit (reposting a third time due to update and technical error)

.
I don't follow a recipe for this so when I went to write it up, I was estimating the measurements. Well I goofed. I thought I used way more soy sauce than I actually use. I've updated the recipe. I apologize to anyone who made this and thought it was terrible.



"They say" that everyone who makes Pancit makes it differently and I'd bet that everyone loves, if not prefers, the version they grew up with. I grew up with my aunt's Pancit. She is Filipino and learned the recipe from her aunt who always made it when she was growing up. It's been the main Pancit in my life for over 20 years so I was thrilled when she taught me how to make it the other day. Several steps, all easy, leave you with this delicious dinner that provides leftovers for days. It's not a recipe that's going to blow your mind but it's good comfort food Asian-style. My cousins love it. I love it. Now my hubby and kids love it too. A good recipe I'll make for years to come.

J's Pancit

1 or 2 big handfuls Rose Brand Fine Cut Plain Chinese Noodles (1.5-2” thick)
Half of one chunk of Vermicelli Bean Thread noodles (sold at Uwajimaya - a package that looks like
this)
2 chicken breasts (I used bone in but that is not required)
2" ginger, sliced (or more)

kosher salt
1-2 T canola oil1 small yellow onion, finely chopped (I did it in a mini-Cuisinart with the garlic)
1-2 t ginger, minced
2 T garlic, minced (4-6 cloves)
1 quart chicken stock
1/4-1/3 cup soy sauce pepper

Sriracha, optional

Put 3" water, ginger and some salt in a large sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (I used bone-in breasts and 20 minutes was perfect. Boneless breasts might cook faster.) Remove and allow to cool. Once cooled, shred.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil
Rose Brand Fine Cut Plain Chinese Noodles for exactly three minutes, then strain and set aside. (Do not overcook!)

Soak Vermicelli Bean Thread noodles in a small amount of water to soften. *

Bring a large pot or braiser to heat over medium heat. Add oil, then add onion and stir to coat. Saute until softened. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for a few minutes, being careful not to let anything brown. Add ½ or 1 cup chicken stock and a few splashes soy sauce. Let simmer and reduce. Continue to add this amount of stock and soy sauce, heating until simmering and reducing. Be patient with this process. You want to create a really good sauce for the noodles to soak up. One you've used the entire quart of chicken stock and roughly 1/4 cup soy sauce, add shredded chicken and allow to soak up sauce. I like mine to turn out a bit darker than this photograph so use more soy if yours is this light.

Working in layers, add a handful of noodles to a large pot. Top with bean thread noodles, then 1/4 of the chicken with sauce. Continue to layer a bit of each and mix together to combine. I like to stop adding noodles when there’s still a big of sauce accumulated at the bottom because the noodles will continue to soak up the liquid.

Serve hot, warm or cold.

We like to stir in a few splashes of Sriracha into ours.

* I haven't been using the Vermicelli Bean Thread noodles because the kids don't like the texture. It's fine without.
.

1 comment:

I'm Cassie.... said...

I just made this yesterday (but from the previous post)! I really liked it and had it today for lunch! The kids weren't fans of the bean threads so I think I will leave them out next time. Thanks for posting :-)