Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Mermaid Birthday Party

.
I was planning a teeny tiny birthday party for my daughter and had planned on no theme. Just a few little girls, some art projects and face painting, cupcakes and that's a wrap. But wouldn't you know it, some mermaid plates from Pottery Barn Kids caught my eye, and next thing you know a theme was born - a mermaid party! I do love a project to get the creative juices flowing so what was I thinking not having a theme??? You could really go wild/overboard with a theme though, but I forced myself to keep it simple. It still turned out pretty darn cute. Here are all the simple little details...

The Guest List
There was a rule among my mom's friends and neighbors when we were young... a child can invite one friend for every year. Makes sense to me. So, since my daughter was turning 4, she got to invite 4 friends. Small and manageable. I like it. I made it a drop-off party so the moms could have a few hours to run errands and I could focus on the birthday girl and her friends.

The Food
I whipped up a few PB&Js, some ham & cheese sandwiches, fruit, and pirates booty. I'm into simple and fast. For dessert we had cupcakes with cute cupcake toppers from Bug & Boo Designs.

The Decor
Cute mermaid plates on pink & white placemats from Pottery Barn Kids, a mermaid pinata, colorful lollipops and party favor bags. I let my daughter pick out the balloons and cupcakes.

Activities
My sister wanted to come over so I put her in charge of face painting. The girls loved it. Everyone got to decorate a crown with stickers and jewels. We did bubbles from the ice cream cone bubble containers and threw water balloons in the driveway. A little lunch, some cupcakes, a pinata and gifts. Simple and easy. The girls had a blast.

Party Favor Bags
I was shopping for another party at Cost Plus and saw these sparkly little boxes. I put a pink sparkly bracelet inside so each girl got her own little mermaid treasure box along with a pink sparkly crown. Took me two seconds and I thought they turned out adorable.


Mermaid table for five

.
 Pink, pink, and more pink


A theme inspired by the mermaid plates


The party favor bags with mermaid treasure box and crown


It's not a party without a pinata!


 Lollipop centerpieces


All the girls got to decorate a pink crown with mermaid stickers and jewels to take home with them


Cupcake toppers by Bug & Boo Designs


Pink water balloons, of course


I let my daughter decorate party hats and pick out balloons
(hence the dolphin and "Have a nice day!" balloon)


Face painting was a hit
.

Followed by bubbles


Now that we're done with bubbles, who wants to do water balloons????


They all loved throwing water balloons in the driveway


Funny photo of my daughter mid-toss

/
Pinata time!

.
Happy Happy Birthday to my little Butter Muffin!
.

No comments: