Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chickpeas and Kale

/
I took a cooking class last week taught by Maria Hines, the owner of Golden Beetle and Tilth. I walked away with several great recipes. One recipe was for Poached Spot Prawns with Chickpeas and Lacinato Kale. It was great but my favorite part was the chickpea and kale mixture. I made it last night as a side, and ate it today as my lunch. I can't get enough kale so it's always fun to have a new way to prepare it.

I loved the flavor of the preserved lemon in this dish. There were no spices listed on the recipe but I followed Maria's lead and threw some in. I used cumin, harissa, sumac, salt and pepper. Maria used canned garbanzo beans in the cooking class but says she always uses dried beans in her restaurants. I used dried garbanzo beans from the farmers market, soaked overnight and cooked for about 30 minutes. They were delicious, creamy and smooth.

Chickpeas and Kale
Inspired by Maria Hines recipe

2 T olive oil
2 T shallot, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2-1 preserved lemon peel, thinly sliced, then cut in half
1-2 cups chickpeas
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t harissa
1/4 t sumac
1 bunch (4-8 cups) lacinato kale, stems removed, leaves cut into thin strips
kosher salt
fresh ground pepper

In a large skillet head the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallot and saute for a few minutes until soft. Add garlic and preserved lemon and saute being careful not to burn garlic. Add chickpeas and spices. Saute and add more olive oil if needed. Add kale and saute for 5-15 minutes until kale leaves are cooked to desired texture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Serve as a salad, as a side to chicken or fish, or as a vegetarian main course.
.

No comments: