Thursday, June 28, 2012

Jersey Salad




I took a pizza cooking class at The Pantry at Delancey several months back and loved it. It took months to even get into a class because they sell out so far in advance and in the blink of an eye. When I finally got in it was well worth the wait. I learned recipes and tricks for making dough and sauce, tips about cheese and toppings, and strategies for making great crust. I learned how to stretch and throw pizza dough without a rolling pin which is a fun skill to have under your belt.

In addition to all the tips and recipes, Brandon told us how to make their delicious Jersey Salad. Now anytime I make pizza at home, I have to make this as well. It's never as good as it is at Delancey, but neither is my pizza, and it's still dreamy to get a bit of Delancey at home.

I highly recommend the pizza class they offer (if you can get in). It's informative, fun and you get to eat pizza and jersey salad! Heaven!

Jersey Salad

Romaine
Carrots, long shreds
Red Cabbage, sliced thin
Croutons, I like PCC brand from their deli department
Parmesan cheese, finely grated

Dressing:

Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Garlic powder - "way more than you would think"
Freshly grated parmesan - "more than you would think and close to rind if possible"
Dried oregano
Salt
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Splash of fish sauce or worschester sauce ("for MSG feel"), optional

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Colleen! I love this salad so much and can't wait to try it! -Shannon