Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Favorite Event of The Year - Hoiday Brunch with My Besties!

.

Every year I host a Christmas brunch for my college friends. Instead of a gift exchange we sponsor a family so everyone brings gifts for them. We eat a great meal, catch up, laugh a lot and play Santa's little elves wrapping gifts for the family. It's my favorite event of the holiday season. Read about my brunch from two years ago here.

I like to do something different with my tree every year. One year it was all silver and gold. Last year it was colorful with lots of colored balls. This year I didn't use any solid balls and did all bright and sparkly ornaments. I wrapped all my packages in shiny white paper and used jewel tone ribbons. Turned out pretty cute if I must say so.

After all that decorating and wrapping, I lost a little steam when it came to cooking. I decided to buy a few things, make a few new salads, and enlist the help of a friend for a fruit dish. Everything was delicious and quickly gobbled up.

The Menu:

Leek & Goat Cheese Quiche from Cafe Besalu
Pastries from Cafe Besalu (plain, chocolate and almond croissants, pear danish, orange brioche)
Ali's Spinach Salad with Apples & Fennel (recipe below)
Jen's Mixed Greens Salad with Pear, Pomegranates & Blue Cheese (recipe below)
Tropical Fruit Kebabs with Lime Cream (thank you Marly!)
Mimosas
Eggnog from Golden Glen Creamery (get your hands on this if you can!)
Coffee (everyone ended up putting the eggnog in their coffee which was amazing)

Recipes...

Ali's Spinach Salad with Apples & Fennel

Baby spinach
Fuji apples, thinly sliced
Fennel, thinly sliced

Dressing (I didn't have exact measurements so do this, then adjust to taste)

1 T honey
1 T + 1 t Dijon
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 good olive oil
salt & pepper

Jen's Mixed Greens Salad with Pear, Pomegranates & Blue Cheese

Mixed greens
Pear, thinly sliced
Pomegranates
Blue cheese, crumbled (get a good one from a local farmers market if possible)

Dressing (I didn't have exact measurements so do this, then adjust to taste)

2 parts balsamic vinegar
2 parts olive oil
1 part freshly squeezed orange juice
salt and pepper
.

A huge thank you to all my little elves. I love you and appreciate you so much!
.

No comments: