Monday, July 28, 2008

Going Bananas

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins from Epicurious

I recently came across a recipe for whole wheat banana muffins on a cute little blog called Sweet Fine Day. What triggered my interest was that it said her daughter was a picky eater but ate these up so I gave them a whirl. They were good and my daughter gobbled them up, but sadly they weren't enough for my sweet tooth. Once I have the craving though, I can't stop until it's been satisfied. So off I went to track down some sweet banana muffins for yours truly. First stop - my grandma's old recipe that my mom grew up on and loved. I thought I'd give nuts a whirl so I made three versions - plain, pecan and walnut. They were delicious, and yes, quite sweet. They should really be called banana cupcakes! I thought I should compare an old recipe with something off my tried and true recipe source, Epicurious, so I made their Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins. They were all delicious but the Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins were a bit lighter than my grandma's recipe. I think you could switch out the nuts if you preferred walnuts or pecans. I'm not sure that I've settled the nut debate yet so next time I might have to do a third, a third, a third. Either way, you can't go wrong with a banana muffin every morning with your coffee jolt of choice (cappucino or americano pour moi)!

Grandma Tess's Banana Muffins
½ c butter
1 ½ c sugar
2 eggs beaten
2 c flour (scant)
½ t salt
1 t baking powder
¾ t baking soda
¼ c sour milk (add 1/2 t lemon juice to milk and let sit)
1 c mashed over-ripe banana (or more)
1 t vanilla
½ c nuts optional

Mix in order given
Butter muffin pans or use paper muffin cups
Fill muffin pans 2/3 full (you might end up with extra batter but don’t fill tins too high)
Bake at 375 for 25 minutes

Banana Macadamia Nut Muffins


Recipe for Whole Wheat Banana Muffins

No comments: