Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My New Favorite Pasta


My uncle is an incredible cook and I learn a lot from him. Last time he had us over I learned how to make this delicious pasta. He also used thick cut prosciutto chunks which makes it even better but I wanted a lightning fast pasta so I skipped that. If you want to try it with prosciutto though it doesn't take that much more time and is even better! In the time it takes you to read the recipe you could have made the sauce! I'm hooked on this pasta. I eat it for lunch a lot, give it to my one-year old, and served it as a first course for guests the other night. It's a hit!

Super Easy Delicious Pasta

1lb FRESH pasta noodles (sometimes they come in 10oz packages)
1 egg
3/4 container store-bought pesto (Track down a great pesto. I prefer PCC's store brand. Second best is Cibo Naturals Classic Basil Pesto.)
1/4 cup half & half
1 cup grated asiago cheese
1 t freshly ground pepper


Combine egg, half & half, pesto and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water for a few minutes. Check directions on pasta packaging. Fresh pasta usually takes about 2 minutes. Drain pasta. Quickly add liquid mixture to the hot pot. Give the pasta a little shake (my aunt says never shake off too much liquid or rinse the pasta with cold water because the pores close up and the noodles don't absorb as much sauce). Throw noodles back in the pot on top of sauce and stir, quickly. Top with cheese and more pepper. Stir and serve with an extra little sprinkle of cheese.

*side note - fresh noodles cannot be served al dente but it really doesn't matter for this dish.

No comments: