Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Super Sole

My new plan is to cook fish every Tuesday because I'm near Mutual Fish in Rainier Valley and "they say" it's the best place to buy fresh fish in Seattle. As long as I'm in the neighborhood once a week, I might as well take advantage.

I always ask for their freshest, wild fish. Yesterday there were several options but I went with the Petrale Sole again so I could try a different preparation.

Last time I cooked Petrale Sole I prepared it piccata style with lemon juice, capers, and parsley. This time I decided to do a breaded variation with the same ingredients minus the capers. I preferred this version but my husband liked it better last time. You really can't go wrong with fresh fish, lemon juice, parsley and some seasoning.

Pan-Fried Petrale Sole with a Light Lemon-Wine Sauce

1lb Petrale Sole
1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or regular white flour)
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1 egg, scrambled and mixed with 1 t water
3 T butter
4 T olive oil
2 T garlic, minced
2 T shallot, minced
1/2 cup white wine
juice of one lemon
2 T fresh flat leaf parsley
kosher salt
freshly ground pepper

Rinse fillets and pat to dry. Season with salt and pepper. Dip fillet in egg, then dredge through flour/breadcrumb mixture and pat to make stick. Heat 2 T butter and 2 T olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When it starts to sizzle, add fillets and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add 2 T olive oil to hot pan, turn down heat a bit and add garlic and shallot. Saute for several minutes. Add wine to deglaze pan and scrape up burnt pieces from bottom of pan. Add lemon juice and parsley. Whisk in 1 T butter. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes. Check sauce for seasoning and add salt or pepper if needed. Add fish, flip over once to coat in sauce, then simmer for a few minutes. Serve hot with a little more parsley sprinkled on top.

No comments: