Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Soup for Another Day


Last night I accomplished one goal from Thursday's post - I made a big batch of Carrot Lemongrass Soup (courtesy of Jess from Hogwash) to freeze for another day. The soup was totally easy and turned out great. I refrigerated it overnight to cool and packed it away in containers today for the freezer.
.
I still needed to figure out how I was going to freeze my soup. I'm a little scared of plastic these days so my options were glass or Pyrex. Today I hit a few stores to find some and came across these Frigoverre glass containers with plastic lids at Crate & Barrel. They are dishwasher, freezer and microwave safe. Perfecto!
.
I was told and also read that you should leave a little room at the top because liquid can expand when frozen. I also wanted to make sure they were air-tight to avoid freezer burn so I tightly applied some plastic wrap over the top and then put the lid on top of that. We'll see how it works. I noted the date so I don't let them sit in the freezer too long. I imagine I will use them within 3-6 months.
.
Once I get that freezer I'm going to get more serious about my winter cooking for summer enjoying. I would also like to make a gazillion tubs of chicken stock so I don't have to do it in the summer when I have a recipe that would benefit from homemade stock.
.
Next up - these Cinnamon-Coconut Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Hogwash.

No comments: