Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chicken Souvlaki Gyro Style

I recently posted a recipe for chicken souvlaki that's great to cook in the summer because it's so easy to prep and cooks on the grill. My friend Jen took it a step further and served it like they do at the best Greek cafe in town. Vios serves the grilled meat gyro-style, wrapped in a warm pita with tzatzaki, roasted tomatoes, fresh parsley and red onion. I followed her lead this weekend and brought that to a BBQ.

I didn't want to be in the kitchen on such a beautiful day so I bought the tzatziki and roasted tomatoes at Vios (besides, they have the best of both) but if you had the time, you could certainly make these items from scratch or track them down at a grocery store.

Everyone loved the meal and not a crumb was left over. You could serve these with a great Horiatiki or Greek salad and some homemade Greek fries (fries with oregano, lemon juice and feta) and you have yourself a great dinner.

No comments: