Sunday, May 31, 2009

Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating

I just finished reading Food Matters by Mark Bittman. While I think it's a must-read, I recognize that it's not for everyone and there's a lot of detail about our nations food system that would bore most people. However, he does have some really solid points and easy suggestions for eating in a way that will be better for the environment, better for your health, better for your waistline and better for your pocketbook. How can that not interest you?!

"Food Matters presents a series of easily adaptable strategies—along with meal plans and recipes—for eating sanely, judiciously, and consciously. Eating this way will not only cut back on greenhouse gas production but will help become generally more healthy and probably lose weight.

That's been my experience; when I started eating like Food Matters, about two years ago, I quickly lost about 35 pounds, saw my cholesterol and blood sugar levels drop, and cleared up a few other health problems. Maybe more importantly, I developed and became accustomed to a style of eating that is less reliant on animal products and nutritionally worthless food, along with the knowledge that my personal impact on the environment went from approximately the size of an SUV to a Prius.

If I told you that the same simple adjustments could help you lose weight, reduce your chances of many long-term diseases, and help stop global warming, I imagine you’d be intrigued. If I also told you that these actions, while not effortless, are lifestyle changes that are easier and more pleasant than any diet you’ve ever tried, and take less time and effort than your exercise routine, I would think you’d want to read more."

I highly recommend reading this book. It's informative and inspiring for anyone who wants to be a healthy and conscious eater without dieting or giving up certain foods entirely. I have already made sublte changes in the way I eat and hope to continue making baby steps to more healthful conscious eating.

It's a quick read considering the bulk of the info is in the first 120 pages. The rest of the book contains a sample meal plan and recipes. If the thought of reading about our nation's food system and gross overconsumption sounds like torture to you, then just read the following three chapters:

- Sane Eating
- How to Eat Like Food Matters
- How to Cook Like Food Matters

No comments: