Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fresh from the Market



One of my favorite things to do every Sunday is head to the farmers market and get stocked up for the week. My daughter and I were there bright and early this morning. We journeyed around the market once alone, making lots of stops to buy the week's groceries, grab a snack or watch the live music. Then a friend met us and we did it all again. The second trip around brought many more treats for my daughter including a rice crispy treat with peanut butter and Nutella (can you imagine anything better? They were so good we had to go back for more). Not my ideal way for her to eat but I was having a good time and wanted to prolong our outing so what better distraction than sugar? (I actually know better and kicked myself later when she wouldn't go down for her nap.)

Anyway, all said and done I spent two and a half hours at the market and got three bags full of food for the week along with some lunch and a million snacks. We kicked off the week of meals tonight with a fabulous farmers market dinner from start to finish...

Salmon
I loved the fresh, wild-caught salmon that I bought a few weeks ago so I was sure to stop back by the same booth. The salmon was caught the day before yesterday and filleted last night. So fresh. I used Giada's recipe for Broiled Salmon with Herb Mustard Glaze which is the easiest thing on earth and so good.

Red Potatoes
I always use Giada's recipe for Roasted Baby Potatoes with Herbs. I buy bigger red potatoes and cut them into chunks. I never feel that it takes the full hour to cook. I hold off on adding the garlic because it burns at that temp. I soak the garlic in olive oil before tossing it to help prevent it from burning. Then I wait until the potatoes are pretty much cooked before tossing with the garlic. I throw the pan back in the oven for 5-8 more minutes to cook the garlic, then they're ready to go.

Spinach
I saute it with sliced garlic and olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with a little fresh lemon juice. Quick to prepare and healthy too. A favorite in our house.

Red & Green Romaine Lettuce
Tossed with shaved parmesan, a touch of lemon juice and the most delicious Classic Caesar salad dressing from the ladies of Honey! I'm Home! (They are also the geniuses behind the peanut butter and Nutella rice crispy treats.)
.
Cherry Pies
Pacific Coast Bakery has a booth at the market selling the most delicious homemade pies. I love the individual cherry pies, warmed and served with a little Julie's Organic vanilla ice cream (my fave). Heaven on earth!

1 comment:

michele c said...

always looking for a good ceasar dressing - will have to try that one out!