Friday, May 15, 2009

Saving Trees, One Step at a Time


Trying to do something good for the environment, I donated money to the National Resource Defence Council. Well next thing I know I'm on every non-profit's mailing list and the requests for donations and membership are coming in daily, by the handful. I guess I could understand if I were donating big bucks and my name was worth sharing but that was not the case. One small donation and I'm plagued with more mail. So much for helping the environment! Now every few days I sit at the computer looking up websites and sending off emails asking to be removed from mailing lists.
.
There are services you can join to help limit your junk mail but who wants to pay for that? I'm committed to the cause though so everytime I receive some, I set it aside. I have just recently removed myself from the constant influx of catalogs from Pottery Barn, William Sonoma, Land of Nod, Restoration Hardware and the like. All those companies have stores and if they aren't in your area then you can always check out their websites. Who needs a catalog twice a month from each one? It is so wasteful.
.
So, I challenge you to take 20 minutes each week and try to limit your junk mail. You will save that time down the road when you're not sorting through it all and recyling all the junk.
.
Remember what Gandhi said, "Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it."

No comments: